Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ariff Alfian Rosli’s Same-Sex Civil Union

Those who know me and have read my few postings on gays would know I’m against same-sex relationships. I am not a homo-phobe, I’m merely obeying my God’s decree – thou shall not practice your lust on men in preference to women; read more [here]. 

I don’t know who Ariff Alfian is; all I know about him is what the media tells me. Apparently he’s gay and is married to his lover Jonathan. Three years ago his family reported him missing but according to Ariff he is constantly in touch with his family bar his father. Apparently a police report was made in Malaysia. I didn't know we have jurisdiction over something that happened in Ireland. A man getting married to another man may not be morally acceptable but I don't think it's a crime, not in Ireland at least. Petronas is also looking for him because they want him to repay RM890,000 spent on his medical degree. Ariff also strongly denies he’s an apostate.

Interestingly and somewhat not surprisingly, UMNO is sending someone over to Ireland to coax him to return to Malaysia. Someone’s getting a free overseas trip!

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again – one has to choose between being a Muslim and being gay. There is no such thing as being a gay Muslim.  One or the other, never both. Kapish?

A Muslim is someone who unreservedly and sincerely profess that Allah is the only God and Muhammad is his messenger. A Muslim promises to strictly adhere to the words of Allah (Al Quran) and the traditions and hadiths of the Prophet s.a.w. A Muslim cannot merely profess Allah is God but refuse to acknowledge and adhere to his rulings which are spelt out in the Quran.

The Quran says;
We also sent Lut : He said to his people : "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." Qur'an 7:80-81
"Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, and leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!" Qur'an 26:165-166

Practising Muslims should take these verses as law and abide by them. There are no two ways about it. Failure to abide by these rulings makes a person less Muslim or maybe even non-Muslim Wallahualam.

Some people are proponents of freedom of choice. Some defend certain acts/behaviours even when they run contrary to religious (any/most religion) judgement. “It is my fundamental right to choose, it’s none of anyone’s business how I live my life” and “I’m born this way and it’s not my choice” are probably two most common excuses for being gay. The second excuse basically says God made them that way. A thief can also say God made him that way, should we condone his thieving ways?

Let’s look at a hypothetical example; if a man wants to marry his sister, both are of legal age; can they use those excuses to justify their action without being ostracised by society?  It is after all their life; they’ll live it however they want. It is also probably not their choice; perhaps they were destined to marry each other? Can society accept such acts given those justifications?

Humans are intelligent beings, sometimes too intelligent for our own good. God gave us brains and we used it to develop weapons of mass destruction, we used it to cheat the system, we use it to justify our wongdoings. We abuse God’s greatest gift to mankind – our brains. And because we are too smart, we need divine guidance. Why does every religion have sacred scriptures? They are not merely historical text, they are meant to guide the followers. True believers of the religion (any religion) will strictly adhere to the words of their holy text.

I am quite sure Christianity is also against homosexuality. I Googled and found this easy to understand verse; Leviticus 20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

If I say I’ll pray for Ariff’s repentance, critics will tell me to mind my own business. I shall pray nonetheless, pray that he’ll un-break his mother’s heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment