Friday, December 9, 2011

The 207 from Peugeot

For a company that gave us the beautiful 308 and the sexy RCZ, Peugeot really got it wrong with the 207 sedan. From the front one can see the family resemblance but looking at it from the rear makes you feel not want to look. It reminds me of the previous Honda City pre facelift.  

I have nothing against Peugeots; in fact I used to own a 405 back in the early 90s. To me, Peugeots can be somewhat erratic in their designs, in the 70s they gave us the big eyed 504 and 604; not exactly the most beautiful of cars, well there is nothing beautiful about them. The 204 is also not a nice looking car. The 404 is typical of an early 60s design, nothing exceptional. They did no better with the boring and plain 305 and 505 but surprised the market with the 205 which showed the Golf GTi there is room for another hot hatch. The 205 succeeded where the XR3i and the Astra GTE failed; shake the Golf GTi off its perch. The streak continued with the handsome 405 (no, I’m not being biased) and there seem to be no stopping the French carmaker, the 306, 307, 207 (hatch), 208 and now the RCZ. 

But the 207 sedan looks like a hatchback with a badly attached boot. 

Peugeot however is not the only carmaker in my ugly car list. The BMW E36 compact is probably at the top not because it’s ugly (it is) but because it’s a BMW. I’m a BMW lover and it breaks my heart to see them selling cars looking like that. The guys from Munich are also bad at designing SUVs. I won’t waste money buying the X1 or X3 but I would sell everything to buy the X6. Thank god they got the X6 right. 

As ugly cars goes, the 207 sedan sits comfortably next to the Fiat Multipla, Ssangyong Stavich; which are not cars really, they are MPVs, but ugly nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment