Monday, August 17, 2009

Safe and Secure

How often do we get that feeling here in Malaysia? Has any day passed without reports about snatch thefts and robberies? Or rapes and assaults? Granted, bad people are everywhere but are the laws and punishment strict enough to deter them from committing crimes? Are there enough enforcement officers to prevent them from committing crimes?

I had a pleasant experience in Switzerland recently. No, I’m not talking about the scenery or the girls but the sense of safety. I was having lunch with a friend at an alfresco cafe and we left our bags and jackets unattended at the table while we went to the men’s room. I wanted to take my jacket with me to the restroom but my friend told me to leave it behind, assuring me it was safe. I have heard of handphones being snatch from tables while the owners are having drinks at the many alfresco mamak restaurants in KL!

Last week two brothers met their end in a motorcycle crash. Minutes before the accident, they smashed the windscreen of a car to rob the driver of her handbag. This happened at the stoplights in broad daylight. Condolences to their families but some how I feel justice is served, albeit a little harsh, served nonetheless.

My colleague’s girlfriend’s house was broken into, also in broad daylight. Thank God she was unharmed but what was disappointing was the lack of interest in the part of the police officers when investigating the case. Apparently, one of them was more interested in knowing where to buy ornamental fish!

The wife on an MP and daughter-in-law of a former Minister was robbed in front of her front gate a few days ago. She lives in the upmarket neighbourhood of Damasara Heights where one would expect police patrol cars patrolling every nook and cranny at 30 seconds intervals, where most houses have an army of security personnel guarding the sprawling properties. And yet it happened. Imagine mere mortals like us living in medium cost housing estates where the ratio of police officers to the population is probably 1:100,000 (ok, I like to exaggerate but I’m sure I’m not too far from the truth).

All I want is a safe environment where I can let my kids go to the park and not worry about being kidnapped or molested, where I can walk the streets at night without being scared of muggers and to be able to live in a house with glass windows – and no grills.

Calvin’s dad once said; a man’s house should be his castle, not a fort.

1 comment:

  1. For the sake of safety, many old housing areas have now become “gated”. Even my Kajai area, we don’t only have security patrol, but will soon become “gated” too. I can’t help but question whether we as residents are being robbed by the security company. Additional expense but service remains questionable. Despite the patrol, there’re still break-ins, car & snatch thefts, as well as attacks on unsuspecting residents. So I wonder if blocking entry points would help curb the crimes. If our police force had done their job, we wouldn’t need this service.

    Anyhow, yup it’ll be nice to live in a grill-free house with gates left unlocked. Unfortunately for now, they are a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete