Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Steakhouse Stakeout


I am a carnivore, I only eat meat. Red meat. The following is a list of watering holes for steak lovers. The list is not exhaustive as there are many more steakhouses in the city that I have never had the chance to patronise but I think I have found a few worthy of a mention.

Coliseum Café, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman
Step into Coliseum Café and you will be transported back in time. Unlike the KL landscape, the café retains its history, charm and soul. I hope it will stay that way for a long time. I first went to the café 30 years ago and the place still looks the same today. The décor is simple, the chairs don’t match, the tablecloth is old but clean, the salad bowl is plastic. As for the food, I have never had anything other than sizzling steaks. During my most recent visit, I had the Chateaubriand steak, medium well. The brown sauce is superb.

Las Vacas, SS5 Kelana Jaya
Unassuming would be the word to describe this steakhouse cum butchers. Excellent would be the word to describe their steaks. Reasonable is the word to describe its prices. Go to the counter to order and choose your steak. Must go again and again and again.

Big Plate, Subang Permai
A steakhouse in Subang Permai? Subang what? Permai where? Go on a Saturday nite and you’ll end up waiting one hour for your meal. Wagyu beef is not on the menu but the variety of side dishes that comes with the steaks cannot be found elsewhere. Drinks come in huge tumblers. RM100 will get you a nice meal for two plus change. Avoid the pizza and avoid sitting inside if the place is full, it can be quite stuffy. Best time to go is 7.30pm and the best dish is the 'Big Plate Steak'.

Jake’s, Medan Damansara
They have one in Starhill but the prices are more expensive than the one in Damansara. The steaks are nice, making it a very safe choice. I love their escargot.

San Francisco Steakhouse, various locations.
I have been to the one in SS17 Subang Jaya and KLCC. I wasn’t really impressed. Las Vacas and Coliseum are better.

Victoria Station, various locations
Were they ever good? Probably, but my recent visits were quite disappointing to the point I’ve decided not to go there again.

And then there is Prime

No comments:

Post a Comment