Friday, January 8, 2010

Treading on Dangerous Waters

What a way to welcome the New Year. 4 churches in the Klang Valley were attacked in the last 24 hours. In most likelihood it was the work of (a very small group of ill-informed) dissatisfied Muslims, angry about the court ruling on the usage of the word ‘Allah’.

I’ll get to the issue of the word later but for now I want to express my disappointment over the uncalled, unjustified and stupid attacks.

How can anyone, in their right frame of mind, show disrespect towards a place of worship. Why is the anger over the court ruling directed towards the church? If these people are really upset over the ruling, (I’m not advocating such actions, it’s just an example) go and torch the courthouse! Scratch the judge’s car. Throw faeces into the judge’s car/house porch, after all he was the one who made the judgement.

A place of worship is sacred and thus deserves utmost respect. Never ever deface and desecrate a place of worship. There is no justification for such act of stupidity. Retaliation brings no benefit. Insensitive acts such as that will only serve to create and escalate racial and religious tension. In a multi-racial-religious cannot afford such a situation.

If things get worse, everyone loses.

1 comment:

  1. My friend just said, 'I dont believe my God is a jealous and rapacious God'. I would say, it was very well said.Truth will prevail and even if it doesnt the attackers will have to face their consciesness.

    Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete