Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Beautiful Masjids in Malaysia


I am fascinated with architecture. Whenever and wherever I travel, the first thing I look at and admire is the local architecture. Looking at the many beautiful, grand old buildings everywhere else in the world makes me feel very sad thinking of the many grand old buildings we tear down here in Kuala Lumpur.

Fortunately, we are not in the habit of tearing down masjids. I list below some of the beautiful masjids I have seen in this country, I have even been to some of the masjid listed below (which may come as a surprise to most people who know me!)


I am a fan of art deco architecture and obviously when I saw Masjid Sultan Suleiman in Klang (left), I immediately fell in love with its architecture. It was opened in 1932 by Sultan Sir Alaeddin Sulaiman Shah and was the masjid negeri prior to the present masjid negeri in Shah Alam. This masjid is also the Selangor royal masjid





Masjid Alaeddin in Jugra, Selangor is beautiful not because it is but more because it is still relatively original, not much renovation spoiling its original splendour. It was formerly known as masjid Bandar and was opened by Sultan Alaeddin in 1905.

Masjid Ubudiah (left) is probably the most photographed masjid in Malaysia and has probably featured in almost all Islam-related calendars. It is still very original with minimal renovation. The masjid was built in 1917 during the reign of Sultan Idris Murshidul'adzam Shah and today almost a hundred years later remains as one of the most beautiful masjid in Malaysia.





Masjid Sultan Abu Bakar (left) in Johor Bahru must be one of the grandest masjid in the country. Not only is the architecture beautiful both inside and out, it is also situated in probably one of the best locations in town. The masjid was opened in 1900. The architect was Tuan Haji Mohamed Arif bin Punak and was built under the supervision of engineer Dato' Yahya bin Awalluddin. This is what I call Melayu Boleh, we had architects and engineers as long as one hundred years ago!

Johor in my books has the best masjid in the country. Masjid Sultan Ibrahim in Muar may not have a big dome like most other masjids in this country but the overall architecture is also unlike most other masjids. The masjid was designed by En. Sulaiman Bin Hj. Ilyas and construction was lead by Major Al-Haj Muhammad Said Bin Hj. Sulaiman. Another Melayu Boleh feat! The masjid is so beautiful; the government built another almost identical masjid across the Muar River, Masjid Sultan Ismail. One town with two very beautiful masjids!

Masjid Jamek Kluang has a beautiful interior but the original exterior is somewhat covered by renovations hence hiding its beauty.

Masjid Brunei Darussalam in Rong Chenok, Pasir Mas Kelantan. Yes, there is a masjid in Kelantan named after the tiny oil rich state in Borneo and it is named such because it was built by the Sultan of Brunei. Well he did not actually build the masjid but he did provide the finances to enable the masjid to be constructed. It is a beautiful masjid (I saw the pictures, never been there myself but hope to get there soon).

Masjid Jame’ Kuala Lumpur was for more than a year my regular masjid for Friday prayers because I used to work across the street. My ‘relationship’ with the masjid however, started back in the late 80’s when I was still in school; it was one of the masjids I go to for Friday prayers. Interestingly, renovations to this masjid was done tastefully, one might not notice the two new wings sandwiching the original masjid as new additions.

Last but not least is the Masjid Kolej Islam Malaya in Section 16 Petaling Jaya. The original masjid has a unique dome  I have fond memories of this masjid, as a child, my dad used to take me there for Friday prayers. For the first ten years of my life, my masjids were either this masjid or Masjid Tun Aziz a.k.a. Masjid Bulat in Section 14 or Masjid Pantai Baru near University Malaya. That changed when I was ten when Masjid Abu Bakar in Bangsar opened, it became our local masjid.



Other notable beautiful masjids which deserve a mention include Masjid Zahir in Kedah, Masjid Wilayah in KL and Masjid Kapitan Keling in Penang. I’m sure there many more beautifully designed masjids in Malaysia, especially the newer ones, this list lists my favourites.

Images ‘borrowed’ from
fotomedia.com.my
psittacula.wordpress.com
perkim-mkimpj.com
lensajingga.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment